George RR Martin’s hit saga The Song Of Ice And Fire is getting a long-overdue illustrated makeover from The Folio Society. The first in the series, A Game Of Thrones, will be released on 16 July 2019.
A Game of Thrones will be illustrated by award-winning artist Jonathan Burton and introduced by best-selling fantasy author Joe Abercrombie.
The stunning two-volume set of the first title includes a foldout map of the Known World, bound in a separate volume. All are presented in a gold-blocked slipcase with a secret illustration inside.
“The Folio Society’s splendid new editions of the Song of Ice and Fire series are masterpieces of the bookmaker’s art lavishly illustrated by Jonathan Burton,” said Martin in a statement. “Books collectors and fantasy fans alike are going to delight in these volumes… I know I will.”
Tom Walker, the publishing director of The Folio Society, said: “We are absolutely thrilled to be publishing The Song Of Ice And Fire series. They are undoubtedly the great modern masterpieces of the fantasy genre, and creating an edition to match that epic status has been a fabulous challenge.”
The Folio Society’s art director Sheri Gee said: “It was enormously helpful and important to work alongside George R. R. Martin and his Art Director. Having their expansive knowledge and support through the project was invaluable to making sure we stayed true to his vision.”
- Bound in three-quarter blocked cloth with a printed and blocked cloth front board
- Set in Vendetta with Esmeralda as display
- 824 pages in total over two volumes
- 6 full page and 2 double-page colour illustrations per volume
- Printed in black & gold throughout
- 8 illustrated chapter openers and 9 illustrated house sigils
- 9 family trees in volume two
- Fold-out map inserted in case, bound in blocked cloth
- Printed endpapers
- Coloured tops
- Blocked and printed slipcase with printed illustration inside
- 10˝ x 6.˝
A Game Of Thrones: A Song Of Ice And Fire by George RR Martin will be published by The Folio Society on 16 July 2019. You can preorder your copy now for £125.00, or US $195.00.
This article was originally posted on SciFiNow