MIDAMERICON II, the 74th World Science Fiction Convention, officially opens tomorrow, August 17th, 2016.
I will not be there. This makes me very sad (and very angry – but I will refrain from negativities as others celebrate this annual greatest in-gathering of fans).
First – best wishes to the Committee and Crew: here’s hoping that the second Big Mac tastes as good as the first!
Second – anyone interested in sending me news while the con is in progress (or a con report after), please feel free.
Third – good luck to all of the nominees (well, actually, some of the nominees – the ones that got on the ballot legitimately). Here’s hoping that the voters once again reflect fannish values with their votes.
Fourth: the SFWA Singularity Newsletter was released yesterday and contained all kinds of important info for SFWAns attending the event. And if you all (you know who I mean) are in anyways like me, there’s a good chance you’ve saved it for later reading, or glanced over it and now don’t remember detail, or forgot to forward it or print it out, or got distracted by that box of newly printed copies of your latest release, here is a back-up of the relevant information regarding the SFWA Suite, meetings and other important Filthy-Pro stuff:
(reproduced from the SFWA Singularity newsletter, #26
Business Meeting at WorldCon
SFWA Business Meeting — in KCCC 2205
Saturday, Aug 20th 2016, 11am-1pm
There will be a General Business Meeting for all members of SFWA at Midamericon at the Kansas City Convention Center in Kansas City, Missouri, from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM on Saturday, August 20, 2016, Room 2205, at which time the SFWA Board will report on its activities.
SFWA Suite Info and Guidelines
The SFWA Suite is tentatively located at the Marriott hotel in Suite #2202. Please check with the SFWA table to confirm this once the convention begins. Some things to remember if you are planning on coming to the SFWA suite:
- Due to budget constraints and food and beverage considerations, we will not be able to accommodate more than one guest per SFWA member.
- You must have ID ready to obtain a wristband if you’d like to consume alcohol.
- Members and guests will be required to register at the entrance.
- We ask that you do clean up after yourselves as it makes the volunteers giving up their time to staff and stock the suite very happy.
- We reserve the right to ask anyone to leave the suite for drunkenness, disorderly conduct, or for violations of our harassment policy which will be posted upon entrance of the suite.
Wed, Aug 17th – 4:00PM to 1:30AM
Thursday, Aug 18th – 9:00AM – 1:30AM
Friday, August 19th – 9:00AM – 1:30AM
Saturday, August 20th – 9:00AM – 1:30AM
Sunday, August 21st – 9:00AM – 11:00AM
- The Suite will be closed during the business meeting on Saturday. We will be serving food at the meeting, so we hope to see you there as we discuss business.
- The suite will also close for 15 minute intervals throughout the weekend to refresh or prepare for events.
Kickstarter Visits the SFWA Suite
Kickstarter Q&A Meet-and-Greet with Margot Atwell in the SFWA Suite
Saturday, Aug 20th, 3pm-5pm- Marriott Suite 2202*
Kickstarter is a powerful platform for authors and publishers to create new work and connect with their fans. It is also a global community of over 11 million backers who have helped bring over 100,000 creative projects to life, including almost 10,000 publishing projects.
In her role as Kickstarter’s Publishing Lead, Margot Atwell has worked with hundreds of authors and publishers. Join her at the SFWA con suite to learn how to use Kickstarter to fund and gain attention for your projects, and connect more deeply with readers, whether you’re an author or a publisher. Feel free to bring specific questions about your project, or just hang out to learn more about Kickstarter.
*Tentative SFWA location. Please double check with the SFWA table for room number on location.