Hugoing Poll Results Suggest Wins for Noa Ward

With over 500 responses so far (we’re not closing the poll until this coming Friday) I thought it would be interesting to review the results.

First conclusion:  numerous puppy-related individuals expressed, ummm, dissatisfaction, with the poll, with one going so far as to call it “bitchy and biased”.  Another played the bias card but admitted that the individual poll choices were pretty fair.  (Expect a lynch mob to be looking for that apostate!).

Additionally, an overall theme to puppy responses (at least those that could clearly be identified as puppy-sympathetic) was to refuse to participate and sever any connection to Amazing Stories or related internet things (like friendships on FB).

One wonders how they plan on being an effective lobbying force for their “cause” if they keep voluntarily removing themselves from open debate.  On the other hand, it kind of makes sense:  we all know that when you pull the blankets over your head, the closet monster can’t get you….

Second conclusion:  there are a lot of people out there hoping for widespread puppy rejection.  Only 8% voted for the outcome being a puppy sweep.  The majority – 46% – think the results will be mixed, with another 34% holding out for a total puppy defeat.  80% are expecting the awards to reflect poorly upon the puppies.

7% say “make it stop!  please make it stop!”.  and only 4% think that the toastmasters for the Hugo Ceremony make a cute couple.  (Don’t know if that’s actually a comment on David & Tananarive appearing together or just that a small percent of respondents couldn’t think of any other appropriate answer.) That’s 11% who are obviously expressing their frustration with the whole damn thing.

Takeaway?  The results suggest that if (very big if as this was a non-scientific poll, in case you hadn’t noticed) those responding reflect those voting for the Hugos, that the vote for non-slate options and no awarding the categories in which there was no choice will have prevailed.  This is a quasi-nuclear option, the one in which the only results one might – at a stretch – call a “puppy win” would be for one of the films they included on their slate to take the Best Dramatic: Long Form Hugo.  Call it the Neutron Bomb option.

Of course it ain’t over till it’s over (and, since this is the internet, “it ain’t over even when it’s over”).  We’re hoping that Ustream has been informed that they may be overwhelmed this year and are laying in extra capacity, because I’m sure we’re not the only ones who want to SEE it be over.

If you’ve not take then poll, you can go here to vote.

FINAL NOTE:  David Freer.  The Hugo Awards are no longer made out of plastic.  (Hugo Award manufacturing process.)

Really don’t mind if you sit this one out.

My words but a whisper — your deafness a SHOUT.

I may make you feel but I can’t make you think.

Your sperm’s in the gutter — your love’s in the sink.

So you ride yourselves over the fields and

You make all your animal deals and

Your wise men don’t know how it feels

To be thick as a brick.


Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick

Please take a moment to support Amazing Stories with a one-time or recurring donation via Patreon. We rely on donations to keep the site going, and we need your financial support to continue quality coverage of the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres as well as supply free stories weekly for your reading pleasure.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Article


Next Article

Review: Robin Hood, F.R.S. by Arthur C. Clarke

You might be interested in …