Without preamble (don’t know if you folks appreciate, laugh at, or cringe over my penchant for wordiness…)
We are now OPEN to submissions of EXCERPTS of longer works from anyone who chooses to submit.
Here are the rules (with a bit of a preamble):
We’ve not yet selected submission software to assist us in this task, so will be operating on the manual model (MM w/ Mk 1 Eyeball) until such time as we are able to select and work with such a program. (We’re eyeing a couple right now: if anyone out there has experience working with one or another of the leading platforms and would care to opine, we will be happy to listen.)
This necessarily means that we must enact DRACONIAN rules for our process in order to prevent our being buried under a pile of bits and bytes. And here they are:
1. Use the form. The form can be obtained by clicking here or by rolling over the MAGAZINE tab at the top of the page and then clicking on EXCERPT SUBMISSIONS in the drop-down menu.
2. You must use the form – this is the only way we will be able to manage, track, coordinate and respond to you in a timely fashion.
3. Abuse of the form and/or submitting ineligible works and/or submitting without using the form will get you placed on a No Consideration list for SIX (6) months. (Two such violations and you will be permanently placed on that list.)
4. We’re looking to electronically publish and electronically archive the excerpts – non-exclusively. In order to submit, you must agree to those terms.
5. We view this as a win-win – the author getting a chance to expose their work to a substantial audience, Amazing and the audience getting to view some hot content. If that doesn’t work for you, please don’t submit.
6. This program is open to BOTH traditionally published and indie-published works – large press, small press and everything in between.
7. You may want to consider our other promotional opportunities as well – advertising on the site, providing copies of your works for give-aways, becoming a contributor to the site.
8. We are hoping for a turn-around time of four weeks or less. If you have submitted and have not heard back from us after four weeks have passed, feel free to send us a note.
9. Submitted works should fall within the SF, fantasy and horror genres and their sub-genres.
10. Begging, pleading, cajoling contributors will get you no where. Bribes on the other hand – will get you no where (even after we cash the check).
I look forward to reading a host of interesting works; I and the others who review these submissions will do our best to avoid the formulaic rejection: in other words, we’re really, really, really going to try and be nice. Please do us the courtesy of trying to do the same.